www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm 

Jon I have been following this post and I there is one key thing missing that you haven't got yet. When you flash a router for the first time it has to be connected to a internet connection via WAN port. Whether you want it to be a repeater or not. If connected to a wan then it will show in the heartbeat and you ca, configure it further from there. The reason the buffalo switched to repeater was because it was already configured in the system.

A repeater requires an extra step.

Try this:

Factory reset your buffalo and connect it to your internet connection. Wait for it to get a heartbeat.

When this is done.

Flash the Asus with the ezgator-prep.bin.
Factory reset the Asus and connect its wan port to one of the buffalos lan ports via ethernet.

Wait. The ASUS will show up in the heartbeat. It will go thru several updates.

Once it shows up and goes thru its updates . Factory reset it and disconnect te ethernet. It will then find the buffalos uplink and connect.

You should then be able to use your laptop to connect to its ssid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 pm 

Jeremy,

Thank you!

I thought that I was told it will automatically find a gateway without being connected to the internet... the sequence of events makes sense now.

Thanks again!

- Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 am 

Jon, just to clarify some things.

The ezgator-prep.bin should be able to connect as a repeater without an ethernet connection once it has been factory reset. However, some people have been having problems with it. I have found that this is the easiest way to make sure that it does not cause a problem. It only has to be done once then from then on you should be able to set it and forget it.

Still the fundamentals of what I posted earlier are correct.

On your server you have 2 firmwares: one is a mini and the other is the full version. In all actuality, you could just load the full version and skip the *prep.bin. That was put there for certain routers that could not be flashed for the first time from the stock firmware to a full version of DD-WRT. Some have to be flashed with the mini version first then reflashed with a full version due to the equipment.

Chuck and I had a conversation about this on the radio last night. You can test the *prep.bin with a wireless connection to see if you can get it to work, but the ethernet connection works everytime.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Thanks jeremy for taking the time to help with this..

Jon... Go to the private discussions section and you will find how to get on the radio channel with us.. Get on there and let's get to the bottom of this..

I thought this was solved a long time ago.. It has to be some simple thing or it needs this adjustment that we added to autoap to make it wait 10 seconds longer to ping google..

Get on the radio with us where we can step through it until we get it solved..

Also, we are on "final approach" with the new 3.3.8 that is coming out, so since you are still just getting setup, let's make sure we upgrade your server right now, before you get a bunch of customization going on..

I will be at the dentist for a few hours today, but then I will be looking for you in the radio channel when you get time to tackle this.. Then we can all hash it over and follow the blow by blow in real time and put this matter behind us..

See you there...

Chuck