www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PICO2HP slow down
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 am 

Hello,

I have a strange issue in my network. http://www.open-mesh.com/overview.php?id=redmondrents

I have an OM1P that is plugged directly into a DSL conection in an apartment. I have a PICO2hp that is on top of the roof on the apartment building directly across from the building the gw apartment is in.

For some reason, anyone conncected to the PICO2HP or that has to go through the PICO2HP to get to the gatway is getting really bad speed and performance. I can not figure out why this is.

The RSSI of the PICO is in the green at 21 for the GW.

I have a digaram here of the network.

http://www.giganetworking.com/appt.jpg

I have an eoc-2610 on the outside of the apartment that the gw is in and it seems to be ok.

I am woundering if since the PICO is on the top of the complex building, could it be receiving more noise then the rest of the nodes making it pretty much useless? Any steps I can take to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks,
Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Josh... Did you figure this problem out?

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:33 am 

I've just accepted the fact that normal Open-Mesh equipment, no matter if they are 3 inches apart or 20 feet, one hop away is so slow it's crazy. When I setup two OM1P's and do a speed test from the one hop away repeater I'm lucky if I can get 500-600kbps even though my line shows 7Mbps when doing the same test on the actual Netgear Home router. All channels are on one's that are not used by anything else, clear LoS, and even tried outright open captive portal.

On a better note, my dual radio equipment get's the full speed of the connection one hop away at the same distance. I've seen some people's dashes that also have long distance anaptyx dual radio's and still maintain high bandwidth, espcially when using 5ghz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 am 

I was able to get this working much better. I did a wireless backhaul and turned the Pico2hp into a gateway. This made things much better on the network and now everything is all green on the open-mesh dash. (except for this morning since the pittock took a power hit, I am assuming that is what took out OM.)

I don't think the issue here was that the Pico2HP has to be a gateway. The issue was that all the nodes could see the Pico but not the gateway so everything was being relayed and that does not work the greatest on this platform. I think fosterchild is correct in that a dual radio would be the best option.