www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a true step by step guide of the setup?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 am 
Hi there,

Im trying to get my head around the setup of a mesh network.

So far what I have done is bought a single hotspot location on wifigator and opened a open-mesh dashboard account.

I've got OP1M EU's nodes coming - but its from this step on I'm not 100% sure on what I need to do, so I'd be grateful if someone could clarify.

1) take down the MAC address of each node / label the unit
2) plug them in one add them to open-mesh dashboard (MAC details)
3) Allow open-mesh to configure the device with the dashboard settings
4) test and deploy?

--- But what I'm not sure about it how and when do I update the firmware of the units? To I allow open-mesh option to auto updated?

--- The end result is I'm trying to setup a paid wifi solution for apartment block, whereby users will connect to the open network and be welcomed by my splash page and asked to pay to connect.

--- how can I visit the page that the users will see i.e. the splash page, to see what it looks like in the real world?

--- do I need to configure anything on the OP1M's router page?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 am 

I'm sure when you receive the units you will see they really are plug and play. Nonetheless, I'll list here your resources should you have any questions after receiving them.

http://robin-mesh.wik.is/

http://wifigator.com/gatorforum/viewtopic.php?t=1719

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:38 pm 
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I've actually looked at them, but they didnt answer what I was looking for.

I understand how to attach the node to the network, but when it comes to firmware, do I need to do a manual update of wifigators firmware or just let open-mesh handle the firmware?

And what is the webpage address if I was visit the splash page from any normal computer browser (without being connected to the network directly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 am 

Quote:
I understand how to attach the node to the network, but when it comes to firmware, do I need to do a manual update of wifigators firmware or just let open-mesh handle the firmware?

Really depends on how you have your network setup. If your using the Open-Mesh dash with the wifigator button selected or even manual settings you can simply let Open-mesh upgrade your firmware whenever you want.

If your running the pro-mesh firmware and or the pro-mesh dash then it won't work like that. The pro-mesh firmware is not designed to upgrade to Open-Mesh newer releases, it's more for a stable, tried and proven setup.

That's probably not the best explanation, but the more you become familiar with it the more it will make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 am 
Thank Fosterchild, that actually helped more than you think!

I've tried Google'ing pro mesh dashboard but I couldn't find any information on it. Is there a page showing the differences between the two dashboards?

Stability is something that I greatly want in my first setup, the less problems the better :)

I've tried logging in to Pro dash but the page is blank, is there something I have to do inorder to get access to it? (I'm using the single hotspot account for now, until I test it out and order the OS).

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:01 am 

I wish I could help, but I don't have a single hotspot so i'm not sure exactly how that account works. I know on my server when I create a hotspot it also creates a pro-mesh dash network.

The pro-mesh dash differs slightly from Open-Mesh, doesn't have all the graphing features's, but it does give you the abiilty to run your own dash if your not happy running it on Open-Mesh. Either way it works, so really up to you which you want to use and which your more comfortable with at first.

I'll see if I can get some info on the dash and possibly a new pro-mesh firmware coming. I'll be back with more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:24 am 
Ok thanks anyway for your input. I think it might be a limitation of the single spot account.

In terms of the two dashboards I take it when I buy the OS DVD of wifigator, the pro dashboard will be run from my server?

Are there any advantages of running your dashboard other than customisation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:47 am 

I know on the full vps and dvd the dash is included if you want to use it, not sure about single spot(thought it was). I think the biggest benefit is the fact it's fully self contained. You would be the only one to blame in the event it went down if you had everything running on your own server. Some people don't like the idea of running networks on a dash that's under the control of someone else.

You could also decide what changes you want to make and or leave it the way it is for the next 10 years if you so desire.