www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone had luck with a dynamic IP and MX !!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 pm 
I am trying to use DynDns.org instead of a static ip from my provider.

I seem to have everything working except for the PayPal part.
I get to the payment page then the thing stays on Paypals confirmation page instead of redirecting back to the MX gateway page.

The username and password never get placed in the database.

If anyone has had luck please let me know before i fork out 100 extra bucks for a static IP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 pm 

I have a had a dynamic IP working for years with "zone edit" and you dont have to have dyndns.org's name tagged on your URL.

1. Go out and purchase a domain name. "yourdomain.com"
2. You will need a little program to up date "zone edit" when your IP changes. I use "direct update"... You can use a router flashed with DD-WRT but it only allows you to keep one domain name updated. I have several so I use the software.
3. Create an account on Zoneedit.com. Its free for the first 5 domains. Put zone edits dns servers under who ever you purchased your domain from.
4. Put you current IP in zone edit for you A records.
5. Create you domains in "Direct Update" and put in you Zone Edit credentuals so that it can log in and make the changes when your IP changes.
6. Give DNS about 24 hours to replicate accross the world and you should be set.

On a little note "Direct Update" needs to be on a Windows PC that is running all of the time. If you only have 1 domain name you can use a DD-WRT router since it will be running all the time anyway. When the router or Direct Update sees the IP change it will update Zone Edit and make the change for you.

Now you will have "yourdomain.com" in the routers chilli settings and not have to worry about dyndns having their hooks in it.

On another note. you can setup your own MX records and get email flowing to your new domain name. And its all done with a Dynamic IP but thats another chapter.... 8)

"Do or do not, there is no try..."

Post subject: Thanks Patch Dog for the help
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 pm 

That sounds great, but I found that Insight Cable seems to fudge a bit about the ports they block LOL. They also cant seem to the right hand to work with the left foot.
I found out that there residential service is not to be used for servers so they block ports and also scan for them to be open.
I will be on DSL and a static for the same price I was paying for cable.