www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove unwanted mail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:44 am 

I believe this subject has been covered but I cant find it. So my apologies beforehand.
I keep getting mail in /var/mail to root, and I have seen this mentioned but have not yet found out how to stop it re-occurring.
I do delete it but it just keeps sending another, every five minutes, day-in day-out, week-in week-out, month-in mon..............

I would really like to re-set my Postfix and actually use this part of the system, so that I have a fully going mail server and not just a perl sendmail forwarder --and at the same time stop the internal (infernal) mail from enchilada to root, and now from chilliwave to root as well!!
Anybody any suggs?

Post subject: Re: Remove unwanted mail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:58 pm 

Wasn't it a cron job that can be turned off?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

The easiest way we have figured out to turn on the mailer is the following:

* Make sure your server hostname that you entered into proxmox is a valid address.. This is not required, but it definitely will help as you get bigger and your system grows..

* Now login to your server with putty and do the following command at the command line..

apt-get -f install -y sendmail

That will remove postfix and install sendmail instead..

* Now login to the server with winscp and navigate to this file:

/var/www/php_mail_test.txt

Rename it to something you will remember and change the .txt extension to .php like this..

php_mail_test1234.php

* Open a web browser and go to this address next..

http://your-server-address/php_mail_test1234.php

(you can tweak that path to match whatever you renamed that file..)

You will see an email test page show up.. Enter your email address and click on SUBMIT..

Then go check your email to see if the serer sent you an email.. The email will say that it came from "asterisk" because that is the owner of the web directories.. That will change when you use different applications to send mail so don't worry about who the test email said it came from at this time..

* The final thing you should do is login to webmin and click on SERVERS... Then click on SENDMAIL... Then click on DNS hosts... you will see it says dashboard.chilliwave.com in there.. change that to be your hostname of your own server and click on SAVE SETTINGS..

That should do it and your emailer will be up and running.. Now to delete the piled up email in there, you will see an icon called USERS in the sendmail page of webmin.. Go in there and you will see user root has about 38,000 emails totally about 38 MB.. Go ahead and click on DELETE ALL..

I hope that helps..

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am 

Hey Chuck,
thanks for all the above.
Followed your words and have now got sendmail sending me mail from the test_mail.php script, from 'asterisk' as you said, but from 'asterisk(at)chilliwave.mydomain.com'.
But it has opened-up a whole new toy for me to get my digits into :lol:
thanks.

The mail from munin/asterisk/enchilada/chilliwave........to root.
I've been deleting it for months now, and it wont go away.
I thought that when we 'removed' postfix then it would go away with it.!!
CRON job???
Does this mean there is a way to get rid of it?
:shock:
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Gotcha.. I will figure out what service is sending those internal emails and shut it off.. Glad you got that going.. I will help you all of that too, of course.. Once you assign a different application to send out the emails, it will send with the return name a email address of the application.. This mailer just says it is asterisk because it is the web server sending the email and asterisk is the user who owns apache2 in this program..

So that is all good and you will be able to add other apps that send out emails now.. I will look into the cron job that is still sending out emails for munin or whatever it is.. never cared until we start using the mail, but I will figure it out now that we have a reason to do so.. no problem..

Very good job on that one.. Let me know what I can help with next and when I have a tidbit on shutting off the munin cron job I will post an update and a note here about it..

Talk to you soon,
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:26 pm 

Hi Chuck,
Did a lot of scratching around today and dont want go any further until...
To get incoming mail to mydomain.com I ned to have it set up as a DNS server, so that the cloud can see my server.
As chilliwave is a VM inside proxmox, is it possible to to activate it as a nameserver (using BIND)??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Bill.. Yes, and there is a program called Pound that is a reverse dns application and that may come into play on making it receive emails.. I would like to figure that part out too.. I have a guy in the radio channel who knows all about how to do this, so I will ask him to dial me in on this and show me how to setup my own server to receive emails and then I will pass along what I learned about it..

Did you get a new teamspeak login Bill?.. If not, let me know and I will send you one..

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 pm 

Chuck did you get any further on this ?