www.chilliwave.com

Wifi Network Distribution and Billing Server
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chillispot DNS Settings!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I figured out the mystery behind the chillispot dns issue and the fact that you must have the correct ISP DNS address programmed into chillispot or the paypal pages do not come up correctly..

NOT ANYMORE MAN!!!! IT IS SUCH A SIMPLE SOLUTION!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proper way to setup chillispot DNS is to go to:

SETUP / MAIN
* Use DNSMasq for DHCP = unchecked (off)
* Use DNSMasq for DNS = unchecked (off)
* DHCP-Authoritative = unchecked (off)
SAVE SETTINGS

Now navigate dd-wrt web interface to:

SERVICES / SERVICES
* DNSMasq = Disable
SAVE SETTINGS

Now navigate dd-wrt web interface to:

SERVICES / HOTSPOT
* Chillispot DNS IP = 0.0.0.0
SAVE SETTINGS
APPLY SETTINGS

REBOOT ROUTER
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BADDA-BING...... BADDA-BOOM....... Chilli DNS resolved to the upstream router's DNS, which will always be a valid DNS from the actual ISP, even if that router has DNSmasq turned on and is behind multiple NAT's..

IT WORKS!!! TRY IT OUT!!!

I am working on my whole new revamp of this system and this is one of the issues I wanted to resolve, so there you have it..

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 am 
Why is it doing this?!?

There goes the explanation-

Chilli is already doing some DNS lookup. Having 2 DNS masquerade same time will crash the second one (Chilli)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 am 
Something funny about this news is...

I KEPT YELLING IT EVERYWHERE FEW MONTHS AGO
and nobody paid attention.

Way to go gang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Admin

What do you mean? I have never seen a clear explanation of this yet.. You did give the hint that it had something to do with using 0.0.0.0, but that was all I had to go on, so I got to messing around here, determined to figure this out once and for all, and I figured out that if I leave all dnsmasq off and enter 0.0.0.0 in chilli, then chill just passes the dns through from the wan, which works perfectly at any location in the world, theoretically..

So this is not widely known knowledge here.. If I knew this before, I would have adopted it a long time ago.. It is a real mess trying to figure out which dns to use at each location and for each router, especially if you want to run autoap in repeaters..

So now this is settled for my firmware, for sure..

Way more to come on this.. I already have this whole system taken right out to the stratosphere while sticking with the same framework, so we will all have new abilites soon..

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 am 
I clearly said to remove any masquerade and someone said it was useless so everyone ignore me

this is about 2 months ago

I went through the full explaination and still got ignored

I also added it to my update page and explaining it why(pay attention to the small icons)
http://oregonmicroscience.com/hotspotfo ... .php?t=655

then I went pointing Google results regarding Chilli & DNS (and they are ALL saying the same thing) - still got ignored. So I stoped saying people what to do regarding the DNS. It seems peoples like the hard way over the easy way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Gosh.. I missed that along the way, and that was a critical piece of information there..

I'm looking through that thread and all I see is a tiny little wheelchair icon next to the dnsmasq option, and the interface does not even have the chillispot dns address anywhere to be filled in, so I still do not see how we were supposed to learn this simple bit of information from all of that..

But that's ok.. We figured it out on our own and now we have told everyone how to deal with it very simply.. Knowing this sooner could have saved a bunch of people alot of grief.. At least we figured it out now..

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck D on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 am 

I remember reading that thread but I was looking at all of the other features. I must have missed that too.

Yes, I'm a PC and I run great on LINUX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
Missed that post too... But after reading it, excuse me but it was not clear enough, at least for me.

Anyway, thank you all Chuck, Mack, Steve and all the forum members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 pm 

Ok.

So do we have to change any settings in the AP or just repeaters, or am I way off the mark here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

This applies to both AP's and repeaters, but if you have things working now, then there is no need to change anything.. This just helps for future setups and making the chillispot section of the router simply adopt the WAN dns address that it got assigned by the upstream router..

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:29 am 

I have never been able to get chilli to work with a 0.0.0.0 DNS for whatever reason.

What I do however that has worked for at least 12 hours at a time(which incidentally is the best I have been able to do) is to use OpenDNS.org 's DNS numbers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:46 am 
Site Admin

I responded in your other thread, but here are a few more things you can try..

Add this line to the "Additional Chillispot Options" field...

Interval 60

That will make chillispot resolve all of its uam list every 60 seconds..

Also, how about setting a scheduled reboot for every 6 hours for the time being, just to ensure that everything stays up and running..

Post subject: NVRAM Commands Help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am 

Hi people,

I need the nvram command to insert uamhomepage=http://xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx being an example url) and interval=60 in the chilli additional field of AP routers from the advanced router setting/additional nvram commands.

Can they co-exist in the same nvram code and should they co-exist in the same chilli options field?

What are the alternatives to having to power-cycle the AP more than once a day to keep chilli up to date and working smothly?

Background info:
I have a slice account v3.3.1
APs -Asus 520gu

UAM Homepage is a htm webpage that users are directed to first. There is a link on that page to hotspotlogin page -it works OK

Interval=60 is needed to resolve and keep fresh DNS of the UAM allowed sites. I have reduced the amount of UAM allowed sites (I only removed all the youtube urls), but there some of mine that I added (they are live and working) and the majority of the original sites are still intatct.

paypal works okay except the occasional lag

What I have tried:
Inserted http://xxx.xxx.xxx in the uamhomepage field of the advanced router setting -updates the AP OK.
Inserted nvram set chilli_additional=interval=60 in the additional nvram command box -does not update in AP
Click configure router

Result:
uamhomepage=http://xxx.xxx.xxx is written into the chilli additional options field in the AP but the interval=60 does not.

I can manually insert the interval=60 code in the chilli additional options field in the AP and it works OK (a nightmare replicating this to all the APs out in the field). However, if I update the AP from the server, the manually inserted code (interval=60) is erased from the chilli additional options field in th AP.

All other additional nvram commands I use in the advanced router settings on the server works OK.

Any help and comments will be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 pm 

Try:

nvram set chilli_additional="interval 60"

I use interval 20, and it works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 pm 

Thanks Mikeb for that input. Well the issue is resolved.

Resolution:
Adding values (if adding more than one line of code/instructions) to the additional Chilli options field in the dd-wrt router via the additional NVRAM box (Advanced router settings) in the Gator admin interface, requires one long code inserted in double quotes with absolutely no spaces in between the characters (e.g. "code...").

In my case I needed to add both a UAM homepage and DNS refresh interval. Although, there is a field to enter the UAM homepage in the admin interface for router config, however, it only works for a single entry into the Chilli additional options field in the router.

Therefore, to resolve my issue, I entered this code:
NVRAM set chilli_additional="uamhomepage=http://xxx.xxx.xxx
interval=60"

Note: xxx.xxx.xxx is the address of your homepage -the first page you want your users to see before buying time. Hit the return key to enter the next instruction on the second line (remember, no spaces).

Repeat this process for as many instructions you want Chilli to run.

Regards